Monday, May 2, 2011

Who are you

Who are you?


You know who you are, don’t you? Isn’t that an obvious question? Of course you know who you are.

I spoke to an older person this week who only just discovered that they were adopted. I don’t know the whole story; but I could imagine that they will be questioning a lot of assumptions about who they are, where they came from and what this actually means for them now.

My own family have being trying to find out more about some of our not-so-far ancestors. Each discovery sheds new light on where we ‘came from’. Unfortunately for me, my ancestors fought on the “wrong side” of World War One and World War Two. So, as an Australian, I’m very proud of the Anzacs but their allies were shooting (and also killed) my relatives. I’m also basically a pacifist which makes this interesting - but that’s where I have come from - whether I like it or not.

So, who are you?
You might come from families with wonderful and proud reputations or families with ‘things’ that you would prefer not to be true, wished weren’t true.

Does this affect your identity? Well, yes it does. The ‘who you are’ also changes as the years go by. I still mostly ‘feel’ about younger than I actually am but I ‘look’ more my age. My face is starting to sag like a bloodhound and is gradually heading south. So the question of ‘who am I?’ is constantly in flux.

As you go through university, you are challenged with new thoughts and ideas and the ‘what do I believe’ thoughts get challenged. And so it should – that’s how we learn. What you believed is tied closely to the ‘who am I’ question.

Our identity and beliefs are in change and that is a fact of life. It gets uncomfortable at times.

On the swishing seas of existence I have found the best anchor, really, is faith in God who does not change. Keep receiving the gift of a relationship with him because he is always the same. Keep coming back to him again and again:

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)

I the LORD do not change (Malachi 3:6)

Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the whole world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.
(Psalm 92:2)

So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him, rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness" (Colossians 2:7).

No comments:

Post a Comment